vCJD
    cosm0
    Tony

Croaker and Crew

Links

DamnLAN

Croaker and Crew

Elite Soldiers

QUAKE! :: View topic - cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining)
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
    cANTaIM
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining) Reply with quote

Knowing full well that probably no one will read this whole diatribe, I write it anyway, mostly to help me deal with my Q3 anger.

Here's the deal. I have been playing Q3 just under 2 years now. Quake 3 Arena is just not fun. I wish it were, I try to make it fun, I even pretend it's fun, but it just isn't. If I could simply compete, make a match interesting, score a few frags, then it would be fun. I don't have to win (I never do), I just have to compete. When I get completely embarassed - like 24-0 - that is humiliating. Being humiliated is not fun. I don't know how some of you guys got through that stage to at least compete in the game. From my point of view, only a sado-masochist could enjoy what I'm going through with Q3.

I've heard it said that I should play against good players. I have a master's degree in teaching so I know something about this, and from life experience. Yes, I should play against players better than me, but only a LITTLE better. If I'm playing against some of you guys where I don't have a chance of even scoring a FRAG, that is not helpful. When I can't even move before I'm dead, get a different weapon, pick-up any kind of armor, then it is NOT helpful. If I can't learn what works and doesn't work because I'm gibs before I can do anything, it is not a good lesson. To be utterly owned is not helpful. From an emotional stand point, it also isn't good. If I know in my mind that I am going to get utterly waxed, my lack of confidence effects my game radically, and there's nothing I can do about that. On the other hand, if I feel like I can at least compete, my game takes a big step upwards.

Also, you guys, if you play against someone and beat them 24-0, admit that you ARE a good player. You don't have to brag about it, but admit, "Yeah, well I've been playing this game for 5 years" or whatever the case is. Don't say, "Well I'm not good at this. In fact, I suck." When you say that after you have won so handily, what are you saying to the guy you just beat? Here's what I submit you are saying to that guy: "YOU REALLY SUCK!!!! You shouldn't even BE here!" That makes me want to totally quit Q3. And honestly, maybe I should.

The other issue that is frustrating to me is my lack of knowledge on the tech side of the game. I'm convinced that a lot of my lameness at playing Q3 is because of my poor computer, and config., but I don't have anything to compare what my game looks like to someone else's. This will never happen, but I'd like to see a couple of you play on my computer; see if you're still as good. My computer is a Pentium 4 but only has 256 mb of RAM and a 64 mb PCI video card. That sucks. I'm sure that is a lot of my problem. My computer never runs at 125 fps. It jumps all over the place during gameplay. Sometimes I get hit with really bad lag even though my ping numbers are below 30. For instance, some of you guys rail me, and I can't even see you. How can I rail back when I can't make you out against the background textures? Speaking of rg, I'm also convinced now that much of my inability to aim with it has to do with my computer/config/ etc., not with my inability.

It's also no fun playing against bots. A great part of the fun is the comraderie with all the human players. But even that can't make up for getting my ass handed to me constantly. When I had the most fun playing Q3 is over at {-X-3-W-} playing against the people over there, hanging out on the Teamspeak server. The company was great, and I could compete there. I rarely won, but I got some good frags, and placed in something other than dead last. Those guys don't play anymore. All the people that used to hang out over there have quit Q3, I guess. You guys are all cool, but damn, it's no fun to play against you! You are all too good! Now you better admit that you are all good players, or I'll reach through my computer and slap you around!

There's my "whine." Now I'm ready to be made fun of and called names and stuff.

'Later

aIM
    dietPEPSI
    [dk] Member
    [dk] Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining) Reply with quote

my reply is in bold.

cANTaIM wrote:
    Knowing full well that probably no one will read this whole diatribe, I write it anyway, mostly to help me deal with my Q3 anger.

Here's the deal. I have been playing Q3 just under 2 years now.

ive been playing since summer 2004.

Quake 3 Arena is just not fun.

quake 3 is fun. the combination of cool models, weapons (+ weapon balance), items, sounds, and maps is unmatched.

I wish it were, I try to make it fun, I even pretend it's fun, but it just isn't.

do you find quake 3 fun offline? i play offline almost as much as i play online. its a good idea to play offline and familiarize yourself with certain maps like hub3aeroq3 before going online.

If I could simply compete, make a match interesting, score a few frags, then it would be fun. I don't have to win (I never do), I just have to compete. When I get completely embarassed - like 24-0 - that is humiliating. Being humiliated is not fun. I don't know how some of you guys got through that stage to at least compete in the game. From my point of view, only a sado-masochist could enjoy what I'm going through with Q3.

people who can beat me by over 50 frags:
    faced, arty

people who can beat me by over 30 frags:
    rigor, berash, the cpma regulars

this is no big deal and i dont find it humiliating. i accept the fact that they are better than me. and besides, theyre only human and lose from time to time too.

I've heard it said that I should play against good players. I have a master's degree in teaching so I know something about this, and from life experience. Yes, I should play against players better than me, but only a LITTLE better.

that is correct. you should play against people who are SLIGHTLY better than you. that way you can try certain tactics and see if blows up in your face or not. if you play only against the semipros, its hard to tell if you've made a right or wrong move, cuz either way, youre gonna die. the result is simply: spawn, death, spawn, death, repeat. you might not even be able to pick up a weapon. playing against those of your level will also help with your player prediction skills.

If I'm playing against some of you guys where I don't have a chance of even scoring a FRAG, that is not helpful. When I can't even move before I'm dead, get a different weapon, pick-up any kind of armor, then it is NOT helpful. If I can't learn what works and doesn't work because I'm gibs before I can do anything, it is not a good lesson. To be utterly owned is not helpful. From an emotional stand point, it also isn't good. If I know in my mind that I am going to get utterly waxed, my lack of confidence effects my game radically, and there's nothing I can do about that. On the other hand, if I feel like I can at least compete, my game takes a big step upwards.

Also, you guys, if you play against someone and beat them 24-0, admit that you ARE a good player. You don't have to brag about it, but admit, "Yeah, well I've been playing this game for 5 years" or whatever the case is. Don't say, "Well I'm not good at this. In fact, I suck." When you say that after you have won so handily, what are you saying to the guy you just beat? Here's what I submit you are saying to that guy: "YOU REALLY SUCK!!!! You shouldn't even BE here!" That makes me want to totally quit Q3. And honestly, maybe I should.

well aim, anytime you compliment someone on how good they are, theyre usually going to be modest and say, nah i aint that good. doesnt seem unusual to me.

The other issue that is frustrating to me is my lack of knowledge on the tech side of the game. I'm convinced that a lot of my lameness at playing Q3 is because of my poor computer, and config., but I don't have anything to compare what my game looks like to someone else's. This will never happen, but I'd like to see a couple of you play on my computer; see if you're still as good. My computer is a Pentium 4 but only has 256 mb of RAM and a 64 mb PCI video card. That sucks. I'm sure that is a lot of my problem. My computer never runs at 125 fps. It jumps all over the place during gameplay. Sometimes I get hit with really bad lag even though my ping numbers are below 30. For instance, some of you guys rail me, and I can't even see you. How can I rail back when I can't make you out against the background textures? Speaking of rg, I'm also convinced now that much of my inability to aim with it has to do with my computer/config/ etc., not with my inability.

yes you need to have quake running smoothly. but its not absolutely essential to have 125 fps. there are other fps that works well too.

from lord smeagol's page:

These are the framerates that work (in order of height gained)
    (35,71) --> 43 units of height
    (55,111) --> 76
    (125,250) --> 333

other config related info:

-make sure EVERY weapon is bound to a specific key or mouse button
    -sensitivity (im still tweaking between sens 5.25 and 5.5)
    -fov (i can notice a diff bet 120 and 110)
    -strafejumping- speed is important in this game
    -the usual network settings:

/snaps 40
    /cl_maxpackets 100
    /rate 25000

It's also no fun playing against bots.

i enjoy it, you already know that.

A great part of the fun is the comraderie with all the human players. But even that can't make up for getting my ass handed to me constantly. When I had the most fun playing Q3 is over at {-X-3-W-} playing against the people over there, hanging out on the Teamspeak server. The company was great, and I could compete there. I rarely won, but I got some good frags, and placed in something other than dead last. Those guys don't play anymore. All the people that used to hang out over there have quit Q3, I guess. You guys are all cool, but damn, it's no fun to play against you! You are all too good! Now you better admit that you are all good players, or I'll reach through my computer and slap you around!

free-for-all is your best bet. duckpond and shayders are basically ffa, while duckpond cpma is designed for serious competition. unfortunately with so few quake players nowadays, even games on ffa servers end up as 1v1 duels.

There's my "whine." Now I'm ready to be made fun of and called names and stuff.

'Later

aIM

good to hear from you aim, lemme know if you have any specific questions.
    sittingduck
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining) Reply with quote

cANTaIM wrote:

I've heard it said that I should play against good players. I have a master's degree in teaching so I know something about this, and from life experience. Yes, I should play against players better than me, but only a LITTLE better. If I'm playing against some of you guys where I don't have a chance of even scoring a FRAG, that is not helpful. When I can't even move before I'm dead, get a different weapon, pick-up any kind of armor, then it is NOT helpful. If I can't learn what works and doesn't work because I'm gibs before I can do anything, it is not a good lesson. To be utterly owned is not helpful. From an emotional stand point, it also isn't good. If I know in my mind that I am going to get utterly waxed, my lack of confidence effects my game radically, and there's nothing I can do about that. On the other hand, if I feel like I can at least compete, my game takes a big step upwards.

You really should just suck it up. I know that sounds harsh, but that's it. Quake III is at a point now, that the majority of the people playing have been doing so for many years. If you are going to constantly worry about losing, you will be constantly tortured. This is the point where you will either suck it up, and get better, or quit. We all like to win once in a while, but until you practice up, and get some more time in, those wins are going to be few and far between. Accept that, or move on to RTS games Razz

You have to look at it realistically, you are a little fish, swimming with a lot of sharks. Once in a while you might find some smaller fish, but the majority of them are going to EAT YOU. Shocked

It's good that you are emotionally attached, but you might need to take a step back and see it in a more detached light......

frag ya later,

Ducky
    [dk] Member
    [dk] Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining) Reply with quote

sittingduck wrote:
    Quake III is at a point now, that the majority of the people playing have been doing so for many years.

to make matters worse, a lot of them play strictly 1v1's. take contro for example. he's only been playing for 4 months tops, yet he has the experience of someone whos been playing free-for-all for 2 or 3 years. i know thats hard to take. but when i see contro beat someone who's been playing for years do i feel this is totally bs, and that there is something wrong with this game? nope. cuz ive seen contro lose by 20 or more day in and day out. and instead of quitting he keeps coming back, trying not to make the same mistakes twice, doing a lot of specting, watching demos, just basically learning about the game. he's paid his dues. and yes he trash talks a bit: "ill own you next time, dp" or "noob". but hey, ill take that over, "man this game sucks, im going back to counter-strike" any day.
    sittingduck
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: cANTaIM's Rant (well, more like whining) Reply with quote

dietPEPSI wrote:
    yes he trash talks a bit: "ill own you next time, dp" or "noob". but hey, ill take that over, "man this game sucks, im going back to counter-strike" any day.

He's working on that..... I think people like that just need reminded once in a while to respect others. They will say "it's just a game" but that's no excuse, we all need to practice respect and humility no matter what we are doing.

It's ok to rant or taunt or bitch OCCASIONALLY, (without malice) but if it's constant, it indicates a problem.

Last edited by sittingduck on Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    cANTaIM
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi/duck,
    I appreciate the well thought out responses. duck, when you said that bit about a little fish swimming among sharks, and I occasionally might run into a smaller fish, is really true. I do occasionally run into someone playing that I am better than. I start to win, and what do they do? They disconnect!!!! How pissy is that??? I at least (most of the time) respect my competition enough to finsh the match even though I have no hope of winning. I did disconnect against contro one time. The combination of him owning me, and talking disrespectfully - not just "smack", disrespect - pissed me off enough to disconnect against him. I said something like, "Don't be such an ass. People won't want to play against you." Then I disconnected. The way he talks sometimes reminds me of a 15 year-old that has been taught NO social skills.

BTW, you won't "hear" me whine/rant like this again. I was just SO frustrated that I had to write it down.

C U 'round.

aIM
    Croaker
    [dk] Member
    [dk] Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cantaim..maybe u should change ur name and see if that helps...rofl..just joking dude.

Everything duck and diet said is true. I also went literally years before i got good but I met alot of peeps that were at my level and had alot of fun. When i worried about winning is when i did and still do my worst.

First thing is first, you gotta get up to 125 fps. Your computer will do it you just need to do some tweaks. Anybody here will help you if you ask. Do you play q3 with all the bells and whistles? Most good players dont. Also you need to get a config and start learning how to customize it. As you learn to change settings the game will run better and make it easier for you to learn.

PM me or email me and ill try to help you with a config. I played against you many times and never though u were that bad. When you see a good player owning on a server..take time to spectate them and watch how they move, how they predict what others are going to do and how they go around the map. believe me this is solid advice. Once i started doing that I got better really fast.

Also how is your strafe jumping..that is key in this game. There are many places to learn about it and you can practice it offline or go to a defrag server. I tried jumping the bridge to the rail on dm6 for 3 years..thousands upon thousands of times and one day I got it and now i cant imagine how i couldnt do it hehe. most of the time you just have to get the feel of a jump or stafing then it becomes easier. There are alot of little different tricks to learn..thats what males the game fun. You can be foghting with someone close qarters and they have a rocket launcher and u dont and just by jumping alot over their rockets you cant minimize the damage and kill them..maybe with a close up shottie. that lead me to...

weapon choice. Use the right weapon for the job. Have all ur weapons binded to keys and after awhile it will become second nature to switch to the right weapon. For instance lets say you rail a guy..instead of trying to rail him again just MG him or LG him or use a shottie and most of the time they will die fast. if a person is following you stright down a hallway use plasma and let them walk into it. If they are in a door or against a wall use a rocket at their feet and let the splash damage do its job..it is really hard to hit a moving player directly with a rocket. Do you use rail alot? Try playin with just certain weapons..get good with a shottie and plasma and dont just rely on rocket and rail.learn to fight defensivly and dont just chase somebody down no matter what. A good player will kill you everytime. Dont try to overpower everyone. That doesnt always work especially if you still not that good yet. There are tons of things you can learn so just ask and take some time to learn. Dont just connect, fight get killed and get frustrated and then leave.

WE all luv q3 and are willing to help others to get better at the game so it stays alive.

Most of all just have fun with it. if you become frustrated the game will really suck for you. Set small goals. When Im playin somebody thats semi pro and really good I just try to survive and maybe get one frag or a couple good shots and if I do I feel great like i accomplished something. I played for years with 120 plus ping and just to get some frags was fun. Do that a few games and then go to a ffa server and you will notice how much easier the game seems..heheh

Another tip: just relax..if you are all tense and not calm when you are in skirmishes you will most certainly die against anybody decent. Dont just fire fire fire. maybe hold off a second and wait for the other player to make a move or jump then once he starts his move anticipate it and fire. Be patient. Once I figured this out I got better instantly. Most players when they get frustrated start firing like crazy. When you finally have that person dead to rights 9 times out of 10 ur out of ammo and you die..rofl Tell me eveyone of u q3 fukers reading this havent had that happen to you.

Dont give up but also realize you need to take a different approach.. become a student of the game and it will becoem fun for you...aloha Croaks
    SMAKFU
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fricken WAAAAAAA,dude grow a set and suck it up.

Ok with that said everything Pep,duck and croaker said are helpful.I've been playin Q3 since 98.Yes I did the demotest and even got to play on the fabled Q3 tour bus.I still suck against guys like Rude,but thats ok I'm in it to have fun with some buds....not make $$$ or compete.

Here is a good site with ALL the cvars(changeable variables) http://q3console.planetquake.gamespy.com/commands.htm

GL and HF!

SMAK
    SMAKFU
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY.... heh didnt notice the last post date LOL.

SMAK
    sittingduck
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMAKFU wrote:
    HOLY.... heh didnt notice the last post date LOL.

Sittingduck jabs smakfu with a pointy stick. Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cAnt!!!!

Well to be honest theres is a lot o players that as duck says are "SHARKS" so you need to become a small shark and grow up from that.

I really enjoy a game against FACED or ARTY or SIK and many others and they really can kick my ass 50 to 0, I love to palay against Rude Pepsi Croacker or Uncle they can kick my ass by a difference of 15 or more.

By the other side I hate to play agains guys that complains about my iam when im not a good player.

There are players like shakedown that play very soft against some players becouse the becomes engry or mad when they loose.

Quake 3 like many other lan games is about ping and acomplish whit your settings, conection move.

Take this like an example:

You can ping 40 to a server and you opponet can ping 90 so thats means you can saw and ear him before he can.

If you cant obtain 125 frames you are in a severe unadvantage against other players, and if the can get 333 fps they weapons are stronger and fater than yours.

Regards to the tactics if you got the YA and the mega but you opponent take the RA he can absorb the same amount of damage than you (if both starts with 100 of healt), when i want to go soft against other player I permit to the other take the red armor and try to control the YA-Mega.

If you opponent comes into your head and you become engry be for sure you are going to owned.

Some times some players permit some other players regulary defeats them just becouse they dont like they left the game at the middle at the match or start a bunch of crap.

Regards to the friendship

This game is about wining i know but i really enjoy to spect faced or arty and chat with them a few lines or stay at ffa and play against a lot of players that are a good friends.

If you really want to become better take a time for expect and accept suggestions about the game and your config.

Normally for ffa you need a good ping snaps maxpackets rate packetdup and many other settings and those are diff from pc/connection to another thats mean if you got cable your settings maybe be diferent that if you have ADSL.

another advice try to play at the same server for a while so you become confortable with the lag to that server.

Hope to see you soon at shayders.

Regards
    tez
    Sarge
    Sarge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry for this new post but DK has a TS server to and time to time im there even when nobody comes constantly (in fact i never catch anybody there) Smile
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    QUAKE! Forum Index -> Free for all All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: